North Shore Healthcare’s Response to COVID-19
Updated July 2021
North Shore Healthcare’s managed centers have the honor to serve those who have chosen us to provide care. Our utmost concern is for the health and well-being of each of our residents and to ensure our staff is healthy and able to continue to care for residents.
Throughout this pandemic we have been following the recommendations and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS), and local and state public health departments in the communities in which we operate, and we will continue to do so. Outlined below are the ways in which we are working to protect our residents, our staff, and ways we are keeping our residents and their families connected.
– Protecting our residents –
- Ensuring residents who show respiratory or other COVID-19 symptoms are put on isolation precautions for monitoring purposes and to protect all residents and staff
- New admission or re-admissions who have not yet been vaccinated are placed under observation for the recommended period of time prior to settling into their regular room
- Conducting small group activities and dining that allow residents to maintain a safe distance
- Increased cleaning in common areas (therapy rehabilitation area, dining area, activity area, lobby area, etc.)
– Protecting our staff –
- Actively screening all employees, essential healthcare providers or personnel, residents, and approved visitors for COVID-19 symptoms
- Instructing sick employees to stay home and call-in replacement staff
- Training and ensuring proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Striving to ensure adequate supplies of PPE are available, or implementing CDC recommended steps to optimize available PPE
– Visitation –
- North Shore Healthcare is excited to open our centers for visits between our residents and their loved ones. We recognize the importance of these connections and have been celebrating along with each of them as they can reconnect.
- We are following each state’s protocols, as well as guidance from the CDC and CMS on the safest way to conduct visitation, including the updated visitation guidance issued by CMS on March 10, 2021.
- Visitors must follow the Core Principles of COVID-19 Infection Prevention and will be required to acknowledge an understanding of this ahead of entering our centers.
- Screening of all who enter the center for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., temperature checks, questions and observations about signs or symptoms), and denial of entry of those with signs or symptoms or those who have had close contact with someone with COVID-19 infection in the prior 14 days (regardless of the visitor’s vaccination status)
- Hand hygiene (use of alcohol-based hand rub is preferred)
- Face covering or mask (covering mouth and nose)
- Social distancing at least six feet between persons
Please contact your center to learn more about visitation at their location.
- Family, friends, and loved ones can share a message with our residents using the Send a Greeting form on each of our center’s web pages. Simply complete the form and your message will be delivered to the recipient to enjoy.
- We encourage you to follow your center's Facebook page to learn more about resident activities and other announcements and news.
– Vaccinations –
- We believe the COVID-19 vaccine is our best defense against this virus, to offer a safe environment for our residents and staff, and most importantly, to save the lives of those most vulnerable to the virus. The more who are vaccinated, the more we can move forward in our new normal and return to a regular way of life.
- We are working closely with our pharmacy partner to offer frequent clinics in our centers for our residents and our staff to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
- We continue to provide vaccine education and facts on the safety and efficacy of the vaccine with our residents, their family, and our staff.
North Shore believes that clear and ongoing communication with our staff, residents, and visitors is critically important. As always, please do not hesitate to reach out should you have any questions or concerns. We appreciate the confidence and trust you have placed in our team.
Following direction from health authorities, we strive to make the right choices to keep you and your loved ones happy, healthy, and safe.
We have a high availability of PPE. Due to our company footprint and strong vendor relationships, we are able to provide the right supplies for our staff and residents.
Quarantine! To closely monitor your health, you’ll have a 14-day quarantine upon arrival. Should your stay be under 14 days, you’ll be safely in quarantine for the entire length.
As an organization, we are committed to continuing to invest in resources necessary to keep our residents and staff safe. To date, we have invested over $1.7 million doing so.
We have conducted over 25,000 COVID-19 tests every week so we can identify residents or staff affected by the virus.
We focus on communication, keeping you informed and in touch. Our centers continue to safely adapt to visitation allowances. Additional tablets were allocated to our centers to support virtual visits.